The Door

Damien | 03/12/2011

Whatever you do, don't ever, ever unlock this door.

I had first recieved that instruction 10 years earlier when I had just arrived here. There had been nothing more, no clarification about why I shouldn't open it or the possible consequences should I ignore the instruction.

Throughout that entire time, I had stopped by this door several times a day, and over time I couldn't help but grow more and more curious about what was on the other side.

What could possibly be so terrible that I wasn't to open it under any circumstances? After all, as far as I could see, it was just a normal door. It didn't even appear to have a lock on it, which only served to make me wonder even more about the reasons for me not being allowed to open it.

Over the years, I found myself spending more and more time by the door, so that where initially I might pass by it a couple of times a day, I had started to stand there and stare at it for a few moments each time, and those few moments had gradually evolved into me sitting against the wall opposite the door just looking at it for hours and hours at a time.

I had been getting the urge for some time now to just open it and see what was on the other side. I mean, whatever was in that room couldn't be that bad surely, or they would have at least locked the door, or maybe given me more information than just telling me once that I must never open it.

And now that urge had become too powerful for me to ignore, and almost in a trance I stood up from where I had been sat and walked towards the door. I placed my hand on the doorknob, took a deep breath, turned it to the side, and pulled the door slowly towards me.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saint Peter approached God with a grim look on his face.

"We just lost another one through the Hell portal," he said by way of introduction.

"Damn, was it anyone we wanted to keep?" came the reply after a moment.

"Mother Theresa".

There was a moment of silence that lasted for almost a hundred Earth years.

"You know, sometimes I think I may have taken this free will and temptation thing a little too far," said God sadly.

"But we have an agreement with Lucifer that as long as the occasional good soul ends up down there with him he wont try and invade us," came the reply from Peter.

"The last war took far too much out of us and we were lucky to survive. And it's not like we choose who goes down there. We tell them not to open the door. After that it's down to them, and most of them manage to avoid the temptation."

"Stiil," God said wistfully. "Mother Theresa was one of the good ones. It's a shame she ended up down there in the end, and all because she felt the need to open a door."

New comment