Re: Beauty and the Exile - Feedback

Damien | 21/07/2011

Likes: This whole story is silly from start to finish, and I think this is a good thing as too many people take literature far too seriously. It's good to inject a bit of stupidity into writing occasionally.

In parts it reminds me of a wonderful tale called Malice and Vomit, written by an obscure but supremely talented author whose name escapes me right now.

Styling is similar, especially with the random asides and the unneccessary repetition in places. This is a style of writing that really shouldn't work, but as long as nobody takes it too seriously it can be very entertaining.

Dislikes: It goes on too long. Some of the scenarios just don't really work for me, such as the girl feigning illness in the hope he would send her home. Feiging illness with a plan to try to kill him maybe, but so she could be sent back to a place where nobody liked or cared about her? Why would she want to go back to a place from which she had been banished.

Also, the ending seems like a bit of a cop-out. These two people, neither of them particularly nice, and both of them with reasons to dislike the people of the kingdom, ending up in charge of everything....

Maybe it's a sneaky dig at the fact that all leaders are, at the end of the day, self-obsessed scumbags, but I don't get that impression from the rest of the story

New comment